You can take precautions against the main causes of ingrowing toenails on your own. For example:
• Choose shoes that are not too tight or too high-heeled.
• Trim your toenails into a square shape.
• Do not cut the nails too short.
• Change shoes day to day, because some of your shoes might fit tighter than others.
• It is a good idea to wear open shoes, flip-flops or to walk barefoot when at home.
There are also inherited foot problems that can promote the ingrowing of nails.
In these cases, being attentive to the first signs is all the more essential.